You are here
In January 1981, Rainbow Hills Baptist Church took the initial step to establish Calvary Hills Baptist Mission. The first Sunday School classes on March 29, 1981, were held in two homes, and the families joined for a worship service in a home in Oak Creek subdivision.
By the next Sunday, Frank Corte and Ben Johnson made their building on Potranco Road available, and the congregation met there for four years. Donald W. Pope served as pastor from April 18, 1982, to June 30, 1986. In 1983 four other churches – University Park, Northridge Park, Alamo Heights and Parkhills – assumed sponsorship through the Cooperative Agreement in Missions concept. The mission had purchased 10 acres of land with financial assistance from the Baptist Church Loan Corporation in July 1981. The property was traded in April 1984 when someone unexpectedly offered to trade our 10 acres for 6.5 acres farther north on Loop 1604. That provided early members with debt-free land and a generous building fund. The mission's 81 members held their first services in the initial building on March 31, 1985.
One year later, on March 30, 1986, the congregation of 142 charter members celebrated as it was constituted as an autonomous Southern Baptist Convention church. The second building, devoted to educational space and a fellowship area, was occupied in August 1987. The church began meeting in two morning worship services in March 1988 because the growing congregation had overflowed the 300-seat auditorium. Calvary Hills was recognized as one of the 10 fastest growing Sunday Schools in the Baptist General Convention of Texas for the 1988-89 church year.
The new sanctuary was occupied on Sept. 20, 1992. Recognizing the rapid growth in Northwest San Antonio, the facility was designed for future growth and includes space for a balcony and future classrooms.
Pastors have been Donald W. Pope (1982-86), Jarrell B. Griffin (1986-1994), R. Lynn Snider (1995-98), and the current pastor, Dr. Randy Houston (1999-present).